Tax investigation service
Great support and expert advice
in the event of a HMRC tax enquiry
Experienced negotiators, achieving positive settlements
with HMRC across income tax, corporation tax, VAT and inheritance tax.
- Competitively priced
- Represent you in all HMRC dealings
- Tax inspector meetings dealt
- Package value up to £100,000
Anyone can be investigated by HMRC
Targeted tax campaigns are becoming more popular as the government combat tax avoidance and tax evasion.
In 2017, HMRC unveiled its new Connect System, a cutting-edge intelligence system designed to detect possible tax evasion. The new system is now in charge of selecting nine out of ten inquiries for further processing.
Whatever the enquiry may be, it makes sense to seek expert advice early. We can support you and manage any communication with them during the process.
Who is at risk
Our low cost fixed tax investigations package ensures that you get the best possible defence without worrying about being landed with a hefty bill at the end. In addition, our service promise offers comprehensive protection against any professional accountancy fees arising from the representation of an HMRC enquiry. Some recent tax investigation statistics are below:
UK Small businesses represent 95% of all companies, and they employ some 14 million people. Even though HMRC reduced its compliance activity spend by £35m, the tax yield from SMEs increased by £200m to £5.6bn.
Mid-sized businesses produced £4bn in additional tax - up 14% in 2018/19. However, tax investigations into large businesses have become less profitable, so HMRC is focusing on investigating small and mid-sized businesses.
Large businesses generated an additional £.10bn compliance yield for HMRC. By spending an extra £25m on compliance work in 2018/19, HMRC recouped £1bn in additional tax - that is a return of £40 for every extra £1 spent on compliance.
Individuals produced an additional tax yield of £2.4bn from taxpayers with less than £150,000 in annual income and under £1m in total assets.
Wealthy individuals yielded £1.8bn from an estimated £145m spent on compliance activity. An 80% increase in tax generated for only an additional 7.5% spent by HMRC.
No one can prevent HMRC from raising an investigation, but with our comprehensive tax investigations service, you will enjoy the following:
- Up to £100,000 of accountancy fees.
- Full representation to HMRC on your behalf, including handling all correspondence and interaction, along with attending any HMRC meetings.
- A robust defence against HMRC, providing comfort and peace of mind.
- Get a qualified accountant with years of experience fighting your defence.
- Ensure the tax inspector is only asking for relevant information and documents and provide all supporting information from our files that relates to your accounts.
- We will prepare for and attend any face-to-face meetings with the tax inspector.
- Defend any complex or technical tax cases raised during the investigation, including PAYE or VAT visits, technical enquiries or full-blown books and records enquiries. So we strongly urge all of our clients to take advantage of this service.
Some of the investigations we help you with
- Self-assessment tax returns.
- Corporation tax (CT600) returns.
- Partnerships and Directors tax returns.
- Payroll (PAYE) compliance.
- HMRC IR35 enquiries for Contractors.
- HMRC VAT disputes.