Accountants for opticians

Tailored accounting solutions for Opticians and Locum Optometrists.

icaew member
xero platinum
Accountants for Opticians
Accountancy services and tax advice for opticians

Accountancy services and

tax advice for opticians

Whether you are trading as a locum, a sole practitioner or in a partnership or limited company, our team has a wealth of experience working with opticians and eye-care practitioners and understands the sector’s needs perfectly!

We understand that finances could be better spent growing your optometry practice. So, from locum work to business start-ups to growing practices, we have accounting and financial services to meet your every need.

Our experienced team can assist with annual accounts, income tax returns, and payroll and guide business strategy and development, Making Tax Digital for VAT, employment law, and LLP or limited company formation.

We can also help you with tax planning and compliance, pension planning and wealth management.

Fusion Services

We provide a comprehensive range of accounting and tax services to help launch your new venture.

Our accounting software partners

We can provide you with comprehensive accounting support when you choose one of our fixed-price packages, making your life as an Optician more stress-free!

To help you stay on top of your financial situation, plan for the future of your business, and make informed decisions, we have developed a suite of online accounting solutions, including Xero, FreeAgent, and QuickBooks.

We will work closely with you to create a business strategy that gives you the best possible chance of success. Our team can determine your company’s structure, and we can assist you with any changes you need to make.

Fusion Accountants Partners 2 New

Need to speak to a specialist optician accountant?

Get in touch!

organise a video call
book a meeting

Why choose us

dedicated accountant for all our Sole Trader

Dedicated accountant

We provide a very high-level service to our clients is at the heart of everything we do. You will have one point of contact, who will understand your business and work closely with you on your accounting needs.

Qualified & accredited accountants

Accredited accountant

You are in good hands! experienced. Our client managers are qualified and accredited by our accounting software providers Xero, Quickbooks and FreeAgent.

ICAEW-ATT-accredited accountants

ICAEW & ATT registered

We offer transparent, all-inclusive monthly fixed prices, so there are no hidden costs, giving you absolute peace of mind.



You will never receive a surprise bill from us. All our competitive monthly fees have a fixed price and are inclusive, with no hidden costs.

Forward thinking

Forward thinking

We bring our clients the latest technology and apps to streamline processes, improve cash flow & become more efficient through automation.

Value add service

Value add service

We are always looking to improve our accountancy service to boost your financials. This includes cash flow forecasting software, EMI schemes, legal services & Contractor insurance.

FAQ ‘s

Are eye tests a taxable benefit?

An employer can pay for the cost of an eyesight test and the cost of glasses or contact lenses without the cost being a taxable benefit where an employee is required to use a visual display unit (VDU) as part of his or her normal duties.

As an Optician, am I exempt from VAT?

Opticians that dispense spectacles or contact lenses to their customers make two supplies for VAT purposes: the spectacles or lenses themselves, which are taxable at the standard rate, but the supply of dispensing services, these are exempt from VAT.

I run my own Limited Company and need an eye test and new glasses. Can I put these through my company as a business expense?”

HMRC have very specific rules around glasses or contact lenses and whether they can be put through your Limited Company accounts as an allowable business expense.

Are optician expenses tax deductible?

You cannot receive tax relief for routine ophthalmic care. Routine ophthalmic treatment covers sight testing, provision and maintenance of glasses and contact lenses. You can get tax relief for orthoptic or similar treatments prescribed by a doctor.

Buying or selling an Opticians?

If a sale is to take place, then up to date valuations should be available of the property and other assets together with an accurate balance sheet as to the liabilities of the company and the recoverability of its debtors. We suggest you review any balance sheet carefully, paying special attention to any ‘earnings’ as the valuation is completed based on profits that the company can generate or is expected to generate on a recurring basis. The taxation implications of any sale always need to be considered both in terms of Corporation Tax within the company and in terms of the personal tax liabilities of the shareholders.

When do I pay VAT as Optician?

You must register for VAT once your taxable sales reach the current VAT threshold (currently £85,000). You will have to charge VAT on all the standard-rated goods and services that you provide – this is known as ‘output tax’. You will usually be able to reclaim some (but not always all) of the VAT you pay on purchases – this is known as ‘input tax’. You can get further information is available from the VAT Helpline on 0300 200 3700.

What tax should I be paying if I am a self-employed Optician?

If you are self-employed you will need to complete a self-assessment tax return before 31st Jan each year (for the previous tax year), pay any tax due and make two payments on account per year: Jan 31st and July 31st. Your taxable profit is calculated as your income less any allowable expenses.

What tax do I pay if I am operating as a Limited company Optician?

If you are operating a Limited Company, you will need to file annual accounts and submit a tax return (9-months after your year-end). Your taxable profit is calculated as your income less any allowable expenses.

What our customers say