Landlord Taxes

Specialist Landlord Accountants London

If you’re a landlord receiving rent from one or more properties, Fusion Accountants can manage your rental accounts and Self-Assessment Tax Returns

More than just tax returns

Fusion Accountants do more than just fill out and submit your tax returns. We make sure you’re getting the most out of your properties by:

  • Advising you on special tax reliefs available to landlords
  • Advising you on how to purchase properties with tax-efficiency in mind
  • Advising you on the accounting records you need to keep
  • Advising you on how to invest your rental income
  • And more…


Being a buy-to-let landlord

While purchasing a buy-to-let property can be a great way to invest any money that would otherwise be sitting in a bank with a low interest rate, making a low return on investment, you still need to run your buy-to-let properties as a business, keeping records of financial information, profits and losses, and incomes. You’ll then need to use this information to fill out a tax return each year so that HMRC knows how much tax you owe. This is why it is recommended that you get the advice of a specialist accountant for landlords such as Fusion.


Buying property

Whether you are a first-time buyer or you are a seasoned buy-to-let landlord, each time you buy a new property, you need to think of it as a business investment. Making the right property investments means taking a different perspective – you need to think of what the local market wants rather than buying a house that you would be happy living in. As accountants, while we don’t go to property viewings with you, we can help you make the right property investments in terms of how much money you are purchasing a house for compared to how much rent you could receive.


Buying commercial property

If you own and run a limited company and you decide to buy commercial property for your business, you can choose to buy it personally and then act as the landlord to your limited company, charging rent. You could also rent out spare office space to other companies. If you do buy commercial property you will be a landlord and should consider getting the advice of a specialist landlord accountant.


An alternative for landlords: holiday lettings

Landlords should also consider purchasing a property to use as a Furnished Holiday Letting (FHL), which means that, instead of renting it out long-term, you rent them out on a shorter-term basis to people on holiday. These require higher maintenance and investment costs because agencies are usually more expensive, and you will need to spend more money on the upkeep, including regular cleaning, but you can use them for your own holidays as there will be no long-term tenants.


Property Tax

Property Tax is where being a landlord can be most confusing, since the rates of tax depend on how you buy the property – you can purchase a property as an individual, as a company, or as a partnership. Fusion Accountants’ specialist landlord accountants can advise you on the most tax-efficient way to purchase a buy-to-let property.

Get in Touch for a FREE Consultation

Get in touch for more information and advice